Improving Your Writing with Emily Dickinson (2) – Changing Verbs!

“How do I improve my writing?” a student will often ask me.  Reading, and practising, new habits, are both highly effective strategies, and I use both as an English tutor.  Today’s post is about using a variety of verbs to improve writing.  

The first post in this series looked at some writing by Emily Dickinson.  You can read it here.  I’m now going to change the verbs she uses so you can see the differences:

“A bird hopped down the walk

He didn’t think I looked

He munched a worm in half

And gobbled the fellow raw!”

This is a fun activity students can do with any short piece of text!

Can you think of different verbs that could have been used instead of mine?

Click here if you'd like to know more about my tutoring services, or here to discover my ebook "The Five Sentence Type Workbook"



Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *