Lady Macbeth in 3 Quotes (3) - "Out damned spot!"

 Writing about characters in literature is a common question in English Literature GCSE.  The current series of posts is designed to help students studying Shakespeare by looking closely at the character of Lady Macbeth.

You can read the first two posts in this series on two previous key quotes: “unsex me here” from Act 1 Scene 5 and “live a coward” from Act 1 Scene 7.

We now jump to the end of the play.

Act 5 Scene 1 is often called “the sleepwalking scene”, for obvious reasons, Lady Macbeth says another of her very well-known lines (around line 33):

“Out damned spot!”

Do you notice how often Shakespeare gives Lady Macbeth commands to say (imperatives)?

And what does her word “spot” refer to, do you think?

This is an example of my teaching approach which I have developed over 25 years as teacher, Head of English, headteacher and Associate of NACE (National Association of Able Children in Education). I aim to be accessible but I also stretch and challenge students to make excellent progress.  You can book a free 30 minute consultation with me via the Contact Form, and find out more about my experience on the About page.



Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *